These community guidelines apply to all Stellar Community spaces, online and offline, including but not limited to in-person meetups, Twitter, Facebook, and IRC. This code also applies to all community participants, including Stellar Development Foundation members, and to all one-on-one communications pertaining to community business. Anyone who violates these community guidelines may be removed from these spaces at the discretion of the community leaders.
Some Stellar Community spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Reporting contact: [email protected]
Open-Source CitizenshipA supplemental goal of these community guidelines is to increase open-source citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize the relationship between our actions and our community.
Communities mirror the societies in which they exist. Positive action is essential to counteract the inequalities and abuses of power that exist in society.
If you see someone making an extra effort to ensure our community welcomes all participants and encourages them to contribute, we want to know!
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions. Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of these community guidelines, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Threats of violence
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Offensive comments related to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, language group, religion, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, and/or body size
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Unwelcome comments about personal characteristics associated with race (e.g., hair texture, skin color, or certain facial features)
- Mocking or derogatory reference to religious beliefs, rituals, or garb
- Racist jokes, regardless of the intention behind them
- Imitating another member’s dialect or accent
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to employment, health, parenting, drugs, food, and employment
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent and/or after a request to stop
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names (e.g., purposefully calling a trans* woman “he”)
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent, except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Sustained disruption of discussion
ReportingIf you are being harassed by a member of the Stellar Community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the community leaders at [email protected], and/or contact the administrators of the specific community (e.g., the Facebook group moderators). If the person who is harassing you is a community leader or administrator, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
These community guidelines apply to Stellar Community spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of the Stellar Community outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Stellar Community members, especially those from Stellar Development Foundation, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from the Stellar Community based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Stellar Community spaces and behavior towards people who are not in the Stellar Community.
In order to protect employees and the response team from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith (e.g., a community member who has recently been reported for abuse or harassment says that she is actually the victim of harassment in the situation, with no evidence to back up her claim). Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Stellar Community members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
ConsequencesParticipants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, our response team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including removing that participant from all Stellar Community spaces.
Addressing GrievancesIf you feel you have been falsely or unfairly reported for violating these community guidelines, you should notify [email protected] with a concise description of your grievance.
Contact Info[email protected]
AttributionThis anti-harassment policy pulls from: